A telecommunications antenna installed for internet services is visible on the rooftop of a house in Kabul on Monday, in the wake of a nationwide telecom outage. Wakil Kohsar/AFP/Getty Images
As highlighted by CNN
Afghanistan has been plunged into a nationwide internet outage, with Taliban authorities cutting more than 43 million people off from global communications, calling them ‘moral measures’.
NetBlocks network monitoring recorded Monday morning outages affecting several operators and telecommunication disruptions, resulting in a complete internet shutdown. These actions were among the largest and most coordinated telecom shutdowns in Afghanistan since the Taliban’s return to power in 2021, and they raise concerns about further isolation of the population from the outside world.
The governor of the northern province of Balkh, Hajji Zaid, said earlier this month that Taliban’s Supreme Leader Maulvi Haibatullah Akhundzada ordered ‘a complete ban on fiber-optic cable’.
‘The measure has been taken to prevent immoral acts, and within the country an alternative system will be created to provide for basic needs’
This move has already disrupted Afghan media operations. Tolo News, a Kabul-based channel, said the outages have significantly affected its operations and other channels connected to the parent company Moby Group.
The outages have also sparked broad concern among Afghans abroad and local activists.
‘This outage not only deprives millions of Afghans of a voice, but also cuts off their vital link to the outside world’
Vaida Faizi, an Afghan journalist living in Denmark, described the personal cost of losing contact with her family: “Only a few hours have passed since the internet outage in Afghanistan, but to me it feels like a lifetime”.
‘Only a few hours have passed since the internet outage in Afghanistan, but to me it feels like a lifetime’
Activists also warn that the outage could have devastating consequences for Afghan girls’ education. After the Taliban banned girls’ education beyond the sixth grade, many had to rely on online courses from overseas educational initiatives or charitable organizations; now these opportunities are at risk due to the lack of internet.
Sabena Chaudhri, WAW’s communications manager based in New York, stressed that the outage robs Afghans of access to the outside world and support from the international community.
As Ukrinform reports, The Guardian writes about this. In the new geopolitical dynamics, Britain is increasingly seen as Russia's main…
A coronal mass ejection originated from the Sun's left limb in May 2024. SOHO (ESA & NASA)/NASA/SDO/AIA/JHelioviewer/D. Müller Based on…
The Joint Forces grouping says that Ukrainian forces control most of Kupiansk in the Kharkiv region. As reported by Joint…
As reported by the online media Suspilne. On November 16, in the village of Lyutivka in the Zolochiv community, Russian…
As reported by the Russian state news agency TASS The occupation authorities in Sevastopol plan to rename another 15 streets…
As reported by the official page of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on Facebook The Defense…