Argentina Shocked by Live-Streamed Femicide of Three Young Women, Sparking Nationwide Protests

Individuals take part in a demonstration in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on September 24. Adan Gonzalez/EPA/Shutterstock

Based on data from CNN

The murder of two young women and a teenage girl, which was broadcast live on social media to dozens of viewers, shocked Argentina and sparked wide protests across the country.

Thousands of people took to the streets over the weekend, demanding justice for the three victims – the two cousins Morene Verrì and Brenda del Castillo, both 20, and Lara Gutierrez, 15 – whose bodies were found in the suburbs of Buenos Aires the day before. The events stirred a public outcry and raised questions about safety and violence against women in the country.

Investigators believe the girls died later after a confrontation with a drug gang. According to Buenos Aires Province Security Minister Javier Alonso, their torture and murder were shown live in a private group on social networks, where about 45 participants had gathered.

Six people were taken into custody, Buenos Aires Governor Axel Kicillof said on Monday, calling the case a “narco-femicide.” The investigation continues, with investigators seeking six more suspects.

«This is what happens to anyone who steals drugs from me»

– A voice that appears to belong to a gang member

Timeline of events and motives

Specifically, authorities believe the women were lured to a house in Florencio Varela, about 25 kilometers south of the capital, under the pretense of a gathering, but there they were accused of stealing drugs and were beaten.

In the footage of the killing, a voice, apparently belonging to one of the gang members, can be heard: “This is what happens to anyone who steals drugs from me.”

Alonso noted that the victims may have previously interacted with this drug gang, and revenge could be the motive, but investigators continue to determine the details of that meeting and the attackers’ motives.

Public reaction and scale of violence

While the investigation into motives continues, feminist organizations have used these events to draw attention to the issue of gender-based violence. At protests this week, signs appeared with slogans “Stop violence against us” and “Not one – not alone.”

According to human rights groups, in Argentina in the first half of 2025 more than 160 women have died, pushing the public to take more active action and to demand more effective investigations into events related to gender-based violence.

On Wednesday, the mothers of the three women spoke to the media, demanding justice.

«I want all of them behind bars», – Brenda’s mother Paola said tearfully. «They ripped my daughter from my arms. My daughter was a good girl. And none of these three girls deserved to end up like this.»

– Paola, Brenda’s mother

The reporting was prepared by journalists from their international networks and local outlets, who cover these events from various angles and study the impact of such crimes on society and security policy.