Drone Attacks Hit Major Energy Facilities in Russia’s Kostroma and Volgograd Regions

Drone attack on the Kostroma DRES in Volgorechensk, Kostroma Oblast, Russia, on November 6, 2025. Telegram/Exilenova

As reported by Astra Telegram channel

In the early hours of November 6, energy infrastructure facilities in Kostroma and Volgograd regions of the Russian Federation were hit by drones. A fire broke out at the country’s third-largest DRES and at the Lukoil refinery. Local officials confirmed the information.

The strike on Kostroma DRES: drones attacked the local DRES in Volgorechensk. The Kostroma region governor Serhiy Sitnikov confirmed the attack on energy infrastructure facilities in Volgorechensk but did not name the station.

In the morning, residents heard the operation of the protective system – there were several pops. Emergency services are currently on the scene… Power supply is not disrupted. There are no casualties

– Serhiy Sitnikov

Later he said that kindergartens and schools would be closed in the city for the day. At the same time, local residents recorded a glow over Kostroma CHPP. This is the third-largest CHP plant in Russia.

Attack on the oil refinery in Volgograd

During the night, Volgograd residents also heard explosions. The regional governor Andriy Bocharov stated that the Russian Defence Ministry repelled a massive drone attack.

repelled a massive drone attack

– Andriy Bocharov

In the evening, according to local sources, debris fell in the industrial zone of the Chernoarmeysky district of Volgograd, where the Lukoil-Volgograd Refinery is located, which had been the subject of reports overnight.

Since the beginning of 2025, the Ukrainian Armed Forces have attacked Russian oil-extraction and refining facilities nearly 160 times, said the head of the Security Service of Ukraine Vasyl Malyuk on October 31. According to him, in particular, there were 20 strikes on such facilities in September-October.

there were 20 strikes on such facilities in September-October

– Vasyl Malyuk, head of the SBU

Malyuk also claims that strikes on these facilities caused up to a 20% deficit on the domestic market for petroleum products, led to the idle 37% of refining capacities, and reduced supplies in 57 regions of Russia, and led to a ban on gasoline exports until the end of this year.

strikes on these facilities caused up to a 20% deficit on the domestic market for petroleum products, the idle 37% of refining capacities, a deficit of petroleum products in 57 regions of Russia, and a ban on gasoline exports until the end of this year.

– Vasyl Malyuk, head of the SBU

Official comments and further data on the energy infrastructure situation are slow to come, but nights indicate a high level of attacks on critical regional facilities.

See also: