Firefighters are extinguishing a fire in a building in the Desnianskyi District that arose as a result of a drone attack by the Russian Federation. Kyiv, October 26, 2025. Suspilne News/Daryna Kolomiyets
As reported by the State Emergency Service DSNS
In the night leading into October 26, Kyiv endured a nighttime drone attack by Russia: the alarming incident claimed three lives. According to city authorities, at least 29 people were injured, including six children; the youngest injured is 4 years old. Seven residents were hospitalized, and damage was recorded at three locations in the Obolon and Desniansky Districts.
Firefighters are battling the aftermath of explosive fragments: a fire engulfed a high-rise in the Desniansky District, caused by drone fragments. Kyiv, October 26, 2025. The circumstances are being clarified by the appropriate services.
According to preliminary information, the debris struck a nine-story building on the second floor. Burning apartments spilled onto balconies from the fourth to the seventh floors. The fire was brought under control, but dismantling of the structures continues. The city mayor Vitali Klitschko is keeping a close eye on the response efforts.
“There was very heavy smoke, everything blew out. It was very scary. The second, third, and fourth floors – everything burned completely. And at our place – I don’t know what was inside, but we barely got out. The smoke was thick, and I have a child, a husband, a dog. We were breathing through wet towels”
Ilya, a neighbor of the house, spoke about the initial sounds and the shocking roar: “I heard the sound of a Shahed drone, and then a powerful impact. And I had a car parked here, where the fire truck is now. I told my wife, come out and see what happened to my car. She went out with our son and said that it had been damaged”
“I heard the sound of a Shahed drone, and then a powerful impact. And I had a car parked here, where the fire truck is now. I told my wife, come out and see what happened to my car. She went out with our son and said that it had been damaged”
“In the first minutes there was such smoke, there was so much shouting”
Consequences of the incident and eyewitness accounts
According to official data, parts of facades and floors have been destroyed in several buildings. Kyiv’s mayor Vitali Klitschko said that the fires were localized at separate sites, but further inspections and debris removal are needed. There is also information about partial restrictions on water supply and gas in some residential buildings.
According to the State Emergency Service of Ukraine, more than 100 rescuers and over 20 units of specialized equipment have been involved in addressing the aftermath. Debris removal is ongoing, and evacuation actions will be carried out as needed.
The incident has left the city on edge: some districts have suffered significant destruction, people need assistance, and access to critical infrastructure is restricted. Currently, services are working on restoring housing stock and coordinating aid for residents.
We recommend paying attention to:
- In Kyiv, the number of victims from the Russian drone attack has risen to 26, including six children, with ongoing medical assistance and monitoring.
- Multiple explosions and a fire occurred in Kyiv on October 22, with emergency services responding to affected districts amid air raid alerts.
- Russia launched a massive missile and drone strike on Kyiv region, injuring 27 people across multiple districts with fires and property damage reported.