Poland’s Air Defense Success Against Russian Drones Highlights Ukrainian Expertise

Poland’s Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski. AP/Mark Schiefelbein

As reported in an interview The Guardian

Poland’s foreign minister Radosław Sikorski stressed that, by Ukrainian standards, shooting down three to four of nineteen Russian drones by Poland’s air defense could be considered a complete success. He voiced this position in an interview with The Guardian.

According to him, the drones that last week breached Polish airspace could indeed have carried payloads, but were not equipped with explosives.

“Interestingly, all of them were fakes, which, in my view, suggests that Russia was trying to test us without starting a war.”

– The Guardian

Sikorski also rejected the suggestion that Poland’s air defense was unprepared for a potential invasion, noting that the downed drones were few in number.

“The drones did not achieve their targets; only minor damage to property was caused, no one was injured. If this had happened in Ukraine, by Ukrainian standards, it would have been a 100% success.”

– Radosław Sikorski

He added that Poland’s response could have been much harsher if the drone attack had caused injuries or deaths on its territory, but he did not disclose details of possible future scenarios.

According to the minister, in response to the drone threat, Polish defense units responsible for air defense have been training using Ukrainian examples, focusing on protecting against future attacks.

“The Ukrainians have better equipment for fighting Russian drones, as well as a much deeper and more up-to-date experience in confronting the Russian army. This is what the public and governments in the West must urgently realize: that it is the Ukrainians who will teach us how to resist Russia, not the other way around.”

– Radosław Sikorski

According to the minister, training Polish units in Ukrainian experience of drone warfare will take place at the NATO training center in Poland, which is safer than conducting it in Ukraine.

What is known about the airspace violation

On the night of September 10, Russian drones violated Polish airspace. The military carried out an operation to neutralize them, for the first time shooting down targets over the country. Prime Minister Donald Tusk informed NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and stated that Poland would not impose additional restrictions.

Tusk said that Poland downed about four of the nineteen drones that breached its airspace. One drone damaged the roof of a house and a car in the village of Wiryki-Wola in the Lublin Voivodeship; debris from the others were found in several settlements. That day, a NATO meeting was also planned to discuss the response to the incident.

Moscow refused to comment, but the Russian Defense Ministry said that during the attack on Ukraine on the night of September 10, drones with a range of 700 kilometers were allegedly used, which allegedly crossed the border into Poland. Moscow also expressed readiness to hold consultations with Poland’s Defense Ministry regarding this incident.

More interesting materials: