South Africa probes 17 citizens joining mercenaries in Ukraine conflict

Russia’s leader Vladimir Putin (left) and South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa at the Russia-Africa Summit in Sochi, October 23, 2019. AP

This is reported by Reuters reports

The Government of the Republic of South Africa has begun an investigation into how 17 of its citizens joined mercenary forces in the Russia-Ukraine conflict. The investigation began after the men sent distress signals asking for help to return home. Such information comes from official sources.

In a statement from the president’s press service, it says the citizens were “lured to fight under the pretext of lucrative employment contracts.” All of them are aged 20 to 39 and are currently in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions; the government is working on their return.

lured to fight under the pretext of lucrative employment contracts

– the president’s press service

“President Cyril Ramaphosa ordered an investigation into the circumstances that led to the recruitment of these young people into this, presumably, mercenary activity,” the corresponding statement said.

The president’s office did not specify whose side the South African citizens were fighting on. The president’s spokesperson Vincent Magwenya said:

We do not yet know, which is why we are conducting an investigation

– President’s spokesperson Vincent Magwenya

According to media sources, most of the Donbas territory where, according to reports, 17 South African citizens are located, is under Russian occupation. It was also noted that Moscow has previously been accused of recruiting citizens from low- and middle-income countries to participate in fighting under false pretenses.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine has said it is reviewing these reports. The Russian Embassy in South Africa did not respond to requests for comments.

Legal and Political Context

Under South Africa’s law, citizens are prohibited from providing military assistance to foreign governments or taking part in foreign armies without the permission of the South African authorities.

South Africa officially maintains a neutral stance on Russia’s war against Ukraine, but maintains close ties with Moscow as a BRICS member.

Earlier, Kenya, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka stated that their citizens were deceived into enlisting to fight on Russia’s side.

In May, a report by the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime pointed to cases of recruiting women from more than 20 African countries to manufacture drones for Russia’s war.

South Africa’s authorities emphasize the need for careful investigation and coordination with international partners to ensure the safety of its citizens.

You may be interested in these materials: