In April, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin and U.S. President Donald Trump met in the Oval Office. Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images
As reported by CNN
The U.S. President Donald Trump promised that something special would happen regarding Gaza, while Israeli officials reported Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s cautions about a 21-point ceasefire and post-war governance plan proposed by the White House.
The two leaders will meet on Monday for an important discussion that Trump called an opportunity to end the war in Gaza. He is expressing optimism as the administration works on a comprehensive plan that envisions the release of all hostages held by Hamas.
We have a real shot at greatness in the Middle East. Everyone is ready for something special, the first time in history. We’ll do it!!! President Donald Trump.
In a Fox News Sunday afternoon interview, Netanyahu did not say that he had accepted the plan: “We are working on this,” he said. “Not yet finalized.”
“We are working on this,” said Netanyahu. “Not yet finalized.”
Hamas said on Sunday that it had not received any new ceasefire proposals. In a statement it reaffirmed “readiness to consider any proposals coming from its mediators, in a positive and responsible light, while upholding the national rights of our people.”
It is expected that Netanyahu will voice cautions and demand changes to the ceasefire plan, three Israeli officials said, underscoring the difficulties in closing the deal, even though many details have already been worked out in advance.
Most of the 21-point plan had been agreed with Netanyahu in advance “in detail,” said one Israeli official, adding that the White House expects Israeli opposition to certain elements, notably the role of the Palestinian Authority and references to the aspiration for a future Palestinian state.
“Netanyahu will not accept the entire outline in the form in which it was first released,” said one official. “Another official noted that he will, more likely, try to make more changes before the United States finally approves the proposal, and also later.”
Netanyahu met with the president’s envoy Steve Vitkov and son-in-law Jared Kushner on Thursday on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in New York to discuss the plan. Trump presented the ceasefire and postwar plan to Arab countries at the UN meeting on Tuesday.
“The momentum looks more serious this time,” said a senior Israeli official, “but it still needs to cross the final threshold.”
Since then, key mediators Egypt and Qatar have tried to resume negotiations without success. A few days after the United States floated a new ceasefire proposal, an Israeli strike in Doha against Hamas leaders completely derailed the talks. In a Sunday television interview, Netanyahu did not apologize for the strike.
“Our goal was Hamas. Nothing more than that,” he said. “I think we can reach an understanding on this.”
Netanyahu’s allies from the far-right flank of Israel’s political scene – Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich – threaten to topple the government if the war ends, and they are expected to strongly oppose any plan that includes the Palestinian Authority.
“Mr. Prime Minister, you have no mandate to end the war without the complete defeat of Hamas,” Ben-Gvir wrote on X on Saturday.
Useful reading:
- The US unveiled a 21-point peace plan for Gaza, aiming to free hostages and establish a roadmap for post-war governance, amid mixed reactions from Israeli and Palestinian leaders.
- Former President Donald Trump plans to attend a high-level military meeting in Virginia, focusing on strengthening the U.S. armed forces and new readiness standards.
- Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu warns of prolonged isolation amid Gaza war, urging economic self-reliance and defense industry growth as international arms embargoes tighten.